Wednesday 1 September 2010

I bought Lula 10 today… three days before the eleventh issue comes out.

I had my first day of college today and it was lovely, despite the fact that my friends mocked me for taking two of the “easy” subjects (English language and textiles… yes, textiles). I do feel stupid compared to my peers by choosing two of my subjects to be less serious, but I suppose Latin is going to drain all life out of me and so I need a bit of light relief, hence the “easy” subjects (but, really, are any A levels easy?).
Anyway, my inadequateness aside, I finally got my hands on the tenth issue of Lula which is very pretty indeed. As always.
Issue 10 marks Lula’s 5th birthday and to celebrate they have created, er, 6 different covers. The idea here is that designers have re-invented the traditional Strawberry Shortcake characters, and these are the models that grace the covers of the magazine. Chanel Iman is Orange Blossom by Kenzo, Addison Gill is Blueberry Muffin by Cacharel, Kate Somers is Raspberry Tart by Sonia Rykiel, Liu Wen is Plum Puddin’ by Philosophy di Alberta Ferretti, Giedre Dukauskaite is Lime Chiffon (love that name) by Erdem, Kim Noorda is Strawberry Shortcake by Charles Anastase and Charlotte di Calypso is Lemon Meringue by Moschino Cheap & Chic. There is also an interview with Muriel Fahrion- the creator of the Strawberry Shortcake characters- which is one of many interviews in the magazine. That’s what I love about Lula: there is so much to look at and to read and it is all so compelling and beautiful that the magazine not only occupies me for an hour, but instead for many hours of many days as I always look back at my copies of Lula.
Which cover do you have? I got the Plum Puddin’ one, which I quite like, but I would have loved the Orange Blossom or Blueberry Muffin covers.
I really need to buy a subscription for Lula because there have been occassions where I missed an issue (I live in a very very remote area and therefore finding Lula is very very rare). For example, I missed the one issue I was so desperate to buy: the 8th issue, with Chanel Iman on the cover and Hannah Murray and a Luella interview inside. I have been desperate to get my hands on this issue but really do not want to part with £25 + on eBay for a year-old magazine that was originally about £6. However, I don’t think I have another option.

No comments:

Post a Comment